Last Updated: 5-3-09
Date and Time
Saturday, May 9, 2009, 8:30am - 5:00pm. Doors open at 7:45am
Location & Venue
Lawrence Technological University, 21000 West 10 Mile, Southfield, MI 48075.
Don Ridler Field House (No. 2 building on the LTU
Exhibitions (Racquetball Courts),
Fashion & Dance Show, and Mini UC
||Opening and Award
Buell Management Building (No. 4 building on the LTU
VEX Elevation and Flutterbot Warehouse Firefighting
Directions to LTU. Use parking lot "F" or "C".
List of Qualified Teams
Friday, May 8
||Field House and Buell Management
||10th Anniversary Dinner (free); RSVP at
||LTU Cafe, Buell Management Bld.
||Setup continues; Practice fields
are open; Exhibition teams are encouraged to setup
Field House and Buell Management Building
|Saturday, May 9
||Team Check-in begins
||Field House; Buell Management
Bld. (Firefighting, VEX Elevation)
||Gym - Field house
||RoboZone Game, FashionShow, Mini UC; Exhibitions
||Gym; Racquetball courts
Firefighting; VEX Elevation
||Buell Management Bld
||Exhibition final presentations
Gym - Field house
||Award of individual trophies to
team members; Group Picture
||RoboZone Final Matches
Closing & Award Ceremonies
Notes to Team Coaches and Teams
- Robofest coach account has been set to browse-only (no modification) after regional
competitions. You may
*not* add new team members.
Editing team information is only allowed for correction of misspelled names and updated team/robot pictures.
If you need to change names or upload team photos, please send emails to
CJ Chung at [email protected] by April 27.
- Bring completed
Consent and Media Release Forms for all participants, including
(all the teams must re-submit).
- Only Exhibition teams need poster boards to introduce the robotics project.
Other competition teams do not need them.
- $40 check-in fee per team. (Associate event teams, Mini UC teams,
Workshop sponsored teams, or teams from outside Michigan do not need to pay this check-in fee.) If your
team has not paid the team registration fee, the fee must be paid when
checking-in. We accept only cash or check made out to LTU/Robofest.
- Please ensure the names and information on the
registration system are correct. We are having individualized trophies made
for each World Championship participant. So be sure to RSVP your team's
attendance by login on your coach account (a
new function was developed) as individual trophies will only be made for those who confirmed to attend. Deadline for
RSVP online for trophy is April 27 at noon, EDT.
- It is highly recommended to bring your own extension cords and power strips for
your laptops and battery chargers.
More on RoboZone Games
- There will be 5 official playing fields and 4 practice fields
- Initial positions, orientations, bottle locations are unknown
- Unknown shape to draw will be more complex
- Make sure the robot size limitations
Comments on Exhibition Teams
- Multiple groups of
judges will visit your team table during the official exhibition
times (10am ~ 11:30am and 1pm ~ 2:30pm); whenever they visit, teams must do
the 4 minute presentation that includes team and member introduction and
demonstration. Teams must be at the table during the above official exhibition time
- As in the Robofest top level rule, there will be silent judges who
will not identify themselves as judges.
Exhibition teams must demonstrate and explain their projects to all the visitors
during those official times.
- Spectators will decide People's Choice
Since we understand there will be more spectators from Michigan, we have
peoples choice awards for out-of-state teams.
- Finalist teams will be
presenting again at the gym before the award ceremony.
These may affect final
They need to move their exhibition tables to the gym.
- CI (Creativity
and Innovation) Development grants will be awarded to the top
Notes to VEX Elevation teams
- Competition will be held in the LTU Cafe in the Buell Management Bld.
See the Location and Venue above.
- For details, please contact
Cranbrook Schools. (BLamb [at] cranbrook.edu)
Notes to RoboFashion & Dance Show teams
- Top teams will be performing again before the award ceremony at the gym.
These will affect final rankings.
Notes to Mini Urban Challenge teams
- Competition will be held in the gym main floor in the Field House.
- Optional practice/qualifier will be held on Friday, May 8th, 6pm - 9pm
Award Trophies and Prizes
- Renewable $2,000 LTU Scholarships for top Sr. teams (Game,
Exhibition, and Mini Urban)
- LEGO NXTs, mindsensors.com gift certificates, L2Bots, and other robotics kits
- Big Trophies and personalized individual trophies for official competition categories
- Best Team Picture Awards
- See this
list of World Robofest
Awards and Prizes (MS Word)
Notes to Teams that need to stay nights in Southfield, Michigan
- We have reserved 37 rooms at
Comfort Suites, Southfield, MI,
that is adjacent to our campus. The special room rate only for LTU
Robofest guests is $75 plus tax a night; note that
Robofest will not pay for the hotel accommodation for teams outside
Instead, the $40 Check-in fee is waived for out-of-state teams.
interested in making reservations from this block of rooms MUST contact Devon directly at 248-357-9990 x414
or [email protected]. The
block of rooms is guaranteed until April 21, 2009, at which point, having a
room available is not guaranteed.
- The closest airport for you to fly into would be Detroit Metro
Airport (DTW). We are approximately 20 miles from the airport. (We do
not have a preferred air fare with any vendor.) You may want to
rent a car for ease in getting to and from the airport and to and
from campus. The hotel is very close, but you will have robots to
carry and you never know about the weather in early May, it may be
Information for Visitors
- Please plan to attend the dinner to celebrate 10th anniversary on Friday,
(5:30pm, Buell Management LTU Cafe). All out of state visitors are invited.
- We are planning special
seminars for parents and teachers on Sat. May 9 during the competitions.
Please check out this webpage for details.
Notes to Spectators
- Admission is free. Parking is free. There will be free raffles for
spectators. Spectators will decide Exhibition People's Choice Award.
- You may bring your own lunch, use the Concession Stand, or the LTU Cafeteria.
Hours: 9:30 am - 3:00 pm (Lunch served from 11am to 2pm, prices below may
- Soda Pop or Bottled Water $1.00
- Wrapped Pastries $1.50
- Chips $1.00
- Pizza by the slice $1.00
- Whole Pizza $8.00
- and more!
- Official Robofest T-shirts as well as Robofest promotional items can be purchased.
- We need to recognize students'
achievement in science and engineering fields.
Each team's achievement is remarkable and
needs to be celebrated!
If you have any media contacts please call them to publicize your team's achievements.
Please call TV stations, newspapers, and News Media and invite them to come to World Robofest.
Wanted: World Championship Volunteers!!!
If you are available, please register at
http://admin.robofest.org/index.jsp?siteID=148. If you know someone who might be interested in World Robofest volunteer positions, please
let them know of this opportunity.
Any questions, please email to [email protected]